Saint Michel Church is the oldest church on the Gulf of Saint Tropez.
From the 11th century, Grimaud had a small church, Saint Michel but we no longer know what it looked like or exactly where it was. It was replaced by this beautiful church with Roman Provençal architecture.
A church of flawless construction
The dimensions and quality of the construction of this church, built in granite and limestone, are an indication of the village’s considerable wealth at the end of the 12th century and beginning of the 13th century.
This building was originally covered in schist flagstones. Since then, the original architecture has been modified, such as the construction of the bell tower (16th century), the sacristy (18th century), and the widening of the southern doors.
Due to a lack of space, the cemetery around the church was moved near the Saint Roch windmill at the end of the 19th century.
Basic architecture and original stained glass windows
Inside there are traces of old frescoes which decorate the walls and arches. Above the transept, an 1850 fresco depicts Saint Michel, Saint Pierre, et Saint Bartholomew.
The stained-glass and resin windows were made by the jeweller, Jacques Gautier in 1975. An organ was installed in 2015 by the organ builder, Pasqual Quoirin.
During the Middle Ages the village stretched from the castle to the top of the hill and as far as the church. The Rue du Baladou (“small ball” in Provençal dialect) connected them all.
Les Soirées Musicales de Grimaud
Saint Michael Church has been a concert venue for many years during Les Soirées Musicales de Grimaud. Since 2015, it has also been a stage for organ recitals.