The Penitents Chapel, a monument to visit in Grimaud.
500 years of existence
Built at the end of the 15th century, ND du Coulet was built at the entrance to the village. 1482, the date of construction is engraved in Roman letters on the lintel of the door (M. CCCC. LXXXII, the 8 is a punctuation sign). The primitive porch was filled in to expand the inside of the chapel.
It became the home of the White Penitents congregation which helped the local population.
Relics, statues and an altarpiece
Inside, there is a 17th century altarpiece and the Pietà painted by Paul-Emile Barberi in 1808. There are also the relics of Saint Theodore, and a variety of other statues, including Our Lady of 7 Sorrows.
In the south-eastern corner, there is a stone engraved with an inscription in Gothic characters: “His Grace of Fréjus gave 40 days of pardon”.
Les Soirées Musicales de Grimaud
Every year, the Penitents Chapel becomes a concert venue for the Soirées Musicales de Grimaud. A musical pleasure for sharing in the heart of this Grimaud monument.